In reaction to a statement issued by Kurdistan Justice Department claiming that the death row Iranian political prisoner Ramin Hossein Panahi has been “armed with Kalashnikov, pistol and grenade” at the time of arrest and has confessed “engagement with the agents,” his lawyer published a letter calling all these accusations as “false”. He emphasized that Ramin has been deprived of his human and legal rights in different stages of investigation and condemnation process.
The letter reads in part:
- According to medical documents, his own saying and as it is put in the statement issued by Kurdistan Judiciary Bureau, Ramin Hossein Panahi was wounded and unconscious during an engagement with armed forces (from IRGC), operated at Besat Hospital in city of Sanandaj and unfortunately taken directly to solidarity cells.
- Ramin Hossein Panahi went under interrogation while he was not in good health
- After almost 180 days being kept at IRGC, he was transferred to intelligence bureau of Sanandaj by the order of judiciary officials.
- Before the first trial he did have a public lawyer but this lawyer was not present in any of the interrogation sessions at IRGC or the intelligence bureau.
- On Jan.15, 2017 the trial takes place at my presence, his appointed lawyer. In this behind-the-doors session Ramin claims he has been tortured and asks to show the scares that were left after months on his body to the judges…but this was not granted to him!
- Before being transferred to a public ward at Sanandaj Prison he was confined in a solitary cell for 200 days…
- During only one trial session dated Jan. 15, 2017 at branch 1st of the (so-called) Islamic Revolutionary Court of Sannadaj, Ramin was tried on the charge of “taking up arms against the state” (baqi) according to article 287 of the Islamic Penal law as was condemned to being hanged at the yard of Sanandaj Central Prison for taking arms against the Islamic Republic.
- The punishment for Ramin Hossein Panahi does not comply with the principal of crime and punishment congruence, the justice is not seen.
- My young client is totally innocent…
Ramin Hossein Panahi was wounded and arrested by IRGC forces around city of Sanandaj on June 22, 2017. His execution decree was issued and he was informed of it while he had denied all the allegations such as participating in armed struggle.