Mostafa Pourmohammadi was born in 1959, in Qom, [Iran]. He completed his seminary education in Qom, Mashhad, and Tehran. He was educated in Islamic jurisprudence, principles of jurisprudence, and philosophy, at [an equivalent] Ph.D. level. Pourmohammadi is married and has four children.
He was a member of the notorious “Death Commission” in Tehran that sent the political prisoners to their deaths.
All those executed in Tehran and Karaj were sentenced to death under his ruling.
In 2005, Human Rights Watch accused him of committing crimes against humanity for his role in the “Death Commission” and described him as a Minister of Murder.
Mostafa Pourmohammadi was quoted on 28 August 2016 by the state-run Tasnim news agency as saying: “God commanded to show no mercy to the nonbelievers because they will not show mercy to you either and there should be no mercy to the [PMOI] because if they could, they would spill your blood, which they did. … We are proud to have carried out God’s commandment with regard to the [Mojahedin] and to have stood with strength and fought against the enemies of God and the people.”
• August 2013 to present, minister of justice, cabinet member in the 11th Majlis;
• 2 July 2008 to August 2013, head of Iran’s general inspectorate office;
• August 2005 to May 2008, minister of interior;
• 2000 to 2005, taught political science at Imam Sadeq University;
• From 2002, head of the political and social affairs at the office of the Supreme Leader (one of the mandates of this office was to familiarize the general public with the fatwas of Rohollah Khomeini and Seyyed Ali Khamenei; as well to respond to questions pertaining Islam and Sharia experientially and with ease, especially to Muslims outside the country);
• 1991 to 1999, chief of foreign directorate at the ministry of intelligence;
• From 1990, deputy minister of intelligence;
• 1987 to 1990, advisor to the minister of intelligence;
• From 1986, prosecutor for the Armed Forces Revolutionary Court in the western regions;
• From 1979 to 1986, chief prosecutor at the Revolutionary Courts in Bandar Abbas, Kermanshah and Mashhad.
• Advisor to the Head of the Judiciary from 22 August 2017 until present