Iran: 50% of university graduates unemployed in Iran
The unemployment rate of university graduates has been of great importance in recent years and has now turned into a major challenge. In addition to 36 percent of the unemployed being university graduates, about 51 percent of graduates are unemployed and looking for work, according to the state-run Tasnim news agency report on November 29, 2017.
About 34 percent of all graduates and 52 percent of graduated women are inactive.
According to the 2016 General Census of Population and Housing, the total number of unemployed people in the country was 3,258,000.
• Unemployed with university education: 1,185,294 people
• Uneducated and unemployed: 146,399 people
• Pre-university unemployed people: 1,926,407 people
Also among university graduates:
• Individuals with PhDs: 5,175
• Master’s and Ph.D. specialists: 158,000
• Master’s degree: 224,000
• Bachelor’s degree: 797,000.